大多数停电几乎一开始就会结束, 但有些可以持续更长的时间——长达几天甚至几周. 冻雨经常造成停电, 雨夹雪风暴和/或大风破坏电力线路和设备. 寒流或热浪也会使电力系统过载.
在停电期间, 你可能没有暖气/空调, 照明, 热水, 甚至是自来水. If you only have a cordless phone, you will also be left without phone service. 如果你没有电池供电或曲柄收音机, 你可能没有办法监控新闻广播. 换句话说，你可能会面临重大挑战.
You can greatly lessen the impact of a power outage by taking the time to prepare in advance. You and your family should be prepared to cope on your own during a power outage for at least 72 hours.
- 您可以安装一个非电的备用炉子或加热器. 选择不依赖于电机的加热单元, 电风扇, 或者其他的电子设备. It is important to adequately vent the stove or heater with the type of chimney flue specified for it. Never connect two heating units to the same chimney flue at the same time.
- 如果你有一个燃木的壁炉, have the chimney cleaned every fall in preparation for use and to eliminate creosote build-up which could ignite and cause a chimney fire.
- If the standby heating unit will use the normal house oil or gas supply, 是否由认证的商人将其与截止阀连接.
- Before considering the use of an emergency generator during a power outage, 检查炉, appliance and 照明 fixture dealers or manufacturers regarding power requirements and proper operating procedures.
- Establishing a self-help network to assist and check on you during an emergency.
- Enrolling in a medical alert program that will signal for help if you are immobilized.
- Keeping a list of facilities that provide life-sustaining equipment or treatment.
- 如果你住在公寓里, advise the property management that you may need assistance staying in your apartment or that you must be evacuated if there is a power outage. This will allow the property manager to plan and make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.
- 首先，检查停电是否仅限于家里. If your neighbours’ power is still on, check your own circuit breaker panel or fuse box. If the problem is not a breaker or a fuse, check the service wires leading to the house. 如果它们明显受损或在地面上, 至少后退10米，并通知电力供应部门. 把这个号码和其他紧急电话号码放在你的电话附近.
- If your neighbours’ power is also out, notify your electric supply authority.
- 关闭所有工具, 电器及电子设备, and turn the thermostat(s) for the home heating system down to minimum to prevent damage from a power surge when power is restored. Also, power can be restored more easily when there is not a heavy load on the electrical system.
- 关掉所有的灯, 除了一个在里面，一个在外面, so that both you and hydro crews outside know that power has been restored.
- 除非绝对必要，否则不要打开你的冷冻室或冰箱. A full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours if the door remains closed.
- 切勿使用木炭或煤气烧烤, 野营加热设备, 或者在室内或车库里安装家用发电机. 它们会释放一氧化碳. Because you can’t smell or see it, carbon monoxide can cause health problems and is life-threatening.
- 使用合适的烛台. 不要把点燃的蜡烛放在无人看管的地方，并放在孩子们够不到的地方. 睡觉前一定要把蜡烛熄灭.
- Listen to your battery-powered or wind-up radio for information on the outage and advice from authorities.
- 确保你的家里有一个可用的一氧化碳探测器. If it is hard-wired to the house’s electrical supply, ensure it has a battery-powered back-up.
- 保护敏感电器，例如电视, 电脑, DVD播放机配有防电涌的电源棒.
在停电的情况下，家用发电机作为备用电力很方便, 但必须仅按照生产厂家的指导方针使用. A back-up generator may only be connected to your home’s electrical system through an approved transfer panel and switch that has been installed by a qualified electrician. Never plug a generator into a wall outlet as serious injury can result when the current produced by the home generator is fed back into the electrical lines, 转换成更高的电压. This can endanger the lives of utility employees working to restore the power.
- Ensure that the generator operates outdoors in well-ventilated conditions, 远离门窗, 千万不要在你的车库里, 防止废气进入室内.
- 将电灯和电器直接连接到发电机上. If extension cords must be used, ensure they are properly rated, CSA-approved cords.
撤离更可能发生在冬季, 当气温骤降时，房子就适合居住了. Although a house can be damaged by low temperatures, the major threat is to the plumbing system. If a standby heating system is used, check to see that no part of the plumbing system can freeze.
If the house must be evacuated, protect it by taking the following precautions:
- Turn off the main breaker or switch of the circuit-breaker panel or power-supply box.
- 把进房子的总水管关上. Protect the valve, inlet pipe, and meter or pump with blankets or insulation material.
- 把水管系统里的水放掉. Starting at the top of the house, open all taps, and flush toilets several times. 去地下室把排水阀打开. Drain your 热水 tank by attaching a hose to the tank drain valve and running it to the basement floor drain.
- 注意:如果你放气水箱, the pilot light should be turned out – call the local gas supplier to re-light it.
- 不用担心水平管道中会有少量积水. Add a small amount of glycol or antifreeze to water left in the toilet bowl, 还有水槽和浴缸的陷阱.
- 如果你的房子有水泵保护免受地下水污染, 清除地下室地板上的贵重物品，以防洪水.
- Do not enter a flooded basement unless you are sure the power is disconnected.
- 不要使用被水淹的电器, 插座, switch boxes or fuse-breaker panels until they have been checked and cleaned by a qualified electrician.
- Replace the furnace flue (if removed) and turn off the fuel to the standby heating unit.
- 打开主电气开关(前, 检查设备, 电加热器, 电视, 微波计算机, 等. 都拔掉了插头，以防止电涌造成的损坏).
- Give the electrical system a chance to stabilize before reconnecting tools and appliances. 先把加热系统的恒温器调高, followed in a couple of minutes by reconnection of the fridge and freezer. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before reconnecting all other tools and appliances.
- 打开水源. 关闭 lowest valves/taps first and allow air to escape from upper taps.
- Make sure that the 热水 heater is filled before turning on the power to it.
- Check food supplies in refrigerators, freezers and cupboards for signs of spoilage. 如果冰箱门一直关闭, 食物应该冷冻24到36小时, 取决于温度.
- 当食物开始解冻时(通常为两天后), it should be cooked; otherwise it should be thrown out.
- 作为一般的预防措施，在冰箱里放一袋冰块. If you return home after a period of absence and the ice has melted and refrozen, 食物很可能变质了.
- Restock your emergency kit so the supplies will be there when needed again.